Sunday, August 30, 2015

De Bruyne: Premier League is best in the world

Do you agree? Especially considering the fact that Spanish La Liga has five teams in the Champions league this season and has been winning the champions league and the Europa league for the past two seasons.

Kevin De Bruyne is looking forward to returning to "the best league in the world" after completing a £55 million move to Manchester City.

The Belgium international was announced as City's latest signing on Sunday, signing a six-year deal as the Premier League table-toppers broke their transfer record for the second time this summer.


De Bruyne's previous stint in England came at Chelsea, where he found his first-team opportunities limited, but he is looking forward to embracing the "new challenge" at the Etihad Stadium.

"I think the Premier League is probably the best league in the world," he told the club's official website. "After it, I think it would probably be Germany. I had a great time in Germany, I had a successful one and a half years at Wolfsburg, where we won a few titles. 

"It's a new challenge to be better as a player and hopefully I can do well."

He added: "I think playing with the likes of Raheem Sterling, David Silva and Sergio Aguero is the best thing you can have as a player.

"I want to reach the highest level possible and the most important thing is that we can be happy and maybe have some titles. That's the most important thing for the club, the players and the fans of course."

De Bruyne also admitted that the drawn out saga of his transfer had an effect on him, but said that he remained professional as he waited for the move to materialise.

"I think in the last few weeks there has been a lot of press, also in Germany, but I still kept on playing and training," added the midfielder. 

"I stayed professional at Wolfsburg and we were just waiting for everything to fall into place.

"Now I can just play football again. All that stuff stays in your head and it's not that easy to be at 100 per cent and to play at a good level."

De Bruyne will link up with his international compatriot Vincent Kompany at City and is hopeful that the club captain can help him adapt to his new surroundings.

"It's always nice when you have some familiar faces," he said. "Vinnie I know really well and he can help me. He's a guy who speaks the same language as me so he can maybe help me settle in a little bit better and help my family if possible. 

"He called me a couple of times and we spoke on the phone. He just said that the club can take good care of me and they will help me. 

"He said if there are any problems I can call him and that I am just to follow my heart and my mind, that if I come to City I will be happy and if not, that he would understand my decision."

No comments:

Post a Comment