Sunday, September 6, 2015

Rooney on England record: I'd swap the goals for a winners' medal!

Wayne Rooney has admitted his pride at reaching 49 England goals to go level with Sir Bobby Charlton, but insists that securing a European Championship or World Cup remains the priority.

The Manchester United striker equalled Charlton's long-standing Three Lions goal record after converting a penalty in the 6-0 Euro 2016 qualification win over San Marino, booking England's place in the finals in France.

But Rooney insists that he would happily swap some of those goals scored in an England shirt to ensure Roy Hodgson's side secured a trophy, with the nation's last success coming at the 1966 World Cup.

He told ITV Sport: "It's a proud moment for me to equal Sir Bobby's record. My aim is to push on, help the team get the victory on Tuesday night and push on and try and break that record and become out and out record holder.

"Yeah he [Charlton] has [supported Rooney] since I was 18 and joined Man United – he's in the dressing room after the games. He's got a presence about him. He goes round and speaks to all the players, particularly to myself he comes in and gives me advice and tries to help me. I think if there’s anyone happy for me to break his record it will be him.

"That's what we play for, to win things as a team and be successful as a team and I'd swap some goals now for a winners' medal."

On the 6-0 win over San Marino, Rooney added: "They're difficult games at times because they get everyone behind the ball and as you can the see the pitch isn't great but I thought the lads stuck at it. 

"We started the game quite well. We tried to put them under pressure and tried to take chances when they came along and we done that. A comfortable win in the end and we look forward to the game on Tuesday."

No comments:

Post a Comment