Thursday, September 10, 2015

Gerrard: I want to know if Sir Alex Ferguson REALLY thinks I'm average

Steven Gerrard admits he is keen to find out if Sir Alex Ferguson really thinks he’s an average player.

The former Manchester United boss, who won 49 trophies in 27 years at Old Trafford, wrote in his autobiography in 2013: “[Frank] Lampard, for me, was a marvellous servant for Chelsea. But I didn't think of him as an elite international footballer. And I'm one of the few who felt Gerrard was not a top, top player."

And in an exclusive interview with the Daily Mail, Gerrard was asked for one question he’d ask to anyone in sport - the former Liverpool captain’s response was: “I’d ask Alex Ferguson, ‘Do you really think that I am average?’”

The 35-year-old, who now plays for LA Galaxy in MLS, was also asked to rank himself alongside Roy Keane, Frank Lampard, Paul Scholes and Patrick Vieira.

“Keane [is] No 1,” he replied. 

“The rest? They’re all different. Frank’s the best goalscoring midfielder, Scholes the best footballer, Vieira the most difficult opponent... I loved playing against all of them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment