Thursday, September 3, 2015

Douglas Costa: Bayern move can kick-start my Brazil career

Brazil international Douglas Costa hopes his quick adaptation to life with Bayern Munich will kick-start his international future.
The former Shakthar Donetsk man joined the German champions this summer and has instantly impressed in the Bundesliga, grabbing two assists and one goal in three league starts in the absence of injured France international Franck Ribery.
And the 24-year-old is now targeting a starring role for Brazil as he seeks to break into the first team during September’s Chevrolet Brasil Global Tour double-header with Costa Rica and USA.
“I have to grab this opportunity,” Douglas Costa told reporters in New Jersey.

“When I arrived at Bayern everyone spoke about Arjen Robben and Ribery, but I have done my job. Here is no different. Of course Neymar is a great player, but I want my place.”
With Neymar suspended for Brazil’s first two World Cup qualifiers in October, and with Oscar having withdrawn from the squad through injury, Douglas Costa is a strong contender to graduate to a regular starting berth with the Selecao. He has 9 caps for Brazil, but just one arrived as a starter.
The former Gremio forward went on to put his fine start to life in Germany down to new coach Pep Guardiola, whose style Douglas Costa believes is proving a perfect fit.
"Guardiola is a coach who likes to play on the attack, and so do we,” he said. 
“We have lot of possession. You can see it in our games, this great possession, always on the counter, attacking with pace. I think this suits my characteristics".
“Guardiola has left me 100% at ease in the team. He asks me to get forward, which is what I always do, he hired me to do that. I have filled the gap, since Ribery is injured.”
Douglas Costa went viral last week with his lambreta trick against Leverkusen, attracting criticism for some quarters for showboating.
But he says it was pure improvisation in order to get out of a tight situation and has vowed to continue dazzle fans with his creativitiy.
“It was improvisation,” he said. 
“When Mario Gotze ran with the ball and passed to me, I had nowhere to go. 
“This has always been my football. And I will do that whenever I get the chance.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment