Sunday, September 13, 2015

Mourinho would have been 'perfect' for Liverpool - Gerrard

Former Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard has spoken of his admiration for Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho and says the Portuguese managing at Anfield would have been the "ideal situation".

Gerrard, who moved to LA Galaxy following the 2014-15 season, had previously spent his entire career with the Reds despite recurring interest from Mourinho, first at Chelsea and then at Real Madrid. 

And the 35-year-old has indicated that he seriously considered leaving Anfield because of his strong desire to work with the Portuguese manager, but Gerrard's ideal scenario would have been Mourinho joining Liverpool.

"For me, the ideal situation would obviously have been for Mourinho to have managed Liverpool," Gerrard wrote in his book My Story, serialised in the Daily Mail

"He was linked with a move to Anfield a couple of times but it never materialised. I know I'm biased, but I think it would have been a perfect match.

"The Liverpool fans would have loved him and he would have known exactly how to turn that love into adoration. Jose would have had a fantastic time bringing huge success to Liverpool."

The former England captain also revealed that some of Europe's biggest clubs had been interested in securing his services throughout his career, but he was only ever tempted to leave Liverpool because of the chance to play under Mourinho. 

"When I was playing my best football, probably in 2006 and even in 2009, there were some big chances to leave: Chelsea again; Real Madrid twice — and the second time was more tempting because, once more, Mourinho wanted me," Gerrard added.

"Playing for Jose in the white shirt of Real Madrid, at the Bernabeu? Only Liverpool could have made me say 'no' again.

"I had come so close to leaving Liverpool for Chelsea in 2005. The reason I stayed was that Liverpool meant so much to me both as a club and as a city. Chelsea and London didn't mean anything.

"During those distressing days when I felt so torn about whether or not I should stay or go I never once thought to myself, 'I want to play for Chelsea instead of Liverpool'.

"My head was almost turned because I was thinking, 'I'd love to play for Jose Mourinho'. I was certain that, under Jose, I would win all the trophies I craved."

The LA Galaxy midfielder also believes Mourinho's managerial prowess would have improved the England national team.

"If Jose Mourinho had managed England in 2004 and 2006 I'm convinced we could have reached at least one major final," the Liverpool legend concluded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment