Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Liverpool have their worst team in years - Harry Redknapp

Harry Redknapp believes Liverpool have their worst team in years, and says that they are fortunate to have more than a single point on the board this season.

The Reds have endured a difficult start to the 2015-16 campaign, narrowly beating Stoke City and Bournemouth before drawing with Arsenal and losing 3-0 to West Ham at Anfield.

And Redknapp has now lambasted the Reds, insisting that Brendan Rodgers’ side are “bang average”.

“I don’t fancy Liverpool at all,” he said at the Telegraph Total Football Live event on Wednesday.

“I think it’s the worst Liverpool team I have seen in years. They look bang average. They are lucky to have any points.

“Bournemouth should have beaten them, they got a wonder goal at Stoke. OK, they played all right first-half at Arsenal.

"I think they will do well to finish in the top five. I am not with Liverpool at all this year. Having said that they will probably win the league!”

Redknapp has also slammed the team’s balance, and criticised Rodgers’s tactical decisions, while insisting that there is no character in the Anfield squad. 

“They lost Steven Gerrard, their leader. What a player. They lost Jamie Carragher the year before. They’ve lost their characters,” he added.

“Look at the two centre-halves on Saturday (Dejan Lovren and Martin Skrtel). The left-back (Joe Gomez) is a good young player who can’t kick with his left foot but he is playing at left-back.

"He’s a fantastic talent, strong, quick. But what will he give you on the left? He is on the wrong side. They look a badly balanced team to me. Sorry, I can’t have Liverpool.”

However, despite his scathing indictment of the club, former Tottenham, West Ham and QPR manager Redknapp insists he would have jumped at the chance to take charge at Anfield. 

“I love Liverpool Football Club, and if you said to me which team would I have loved to manage in this country it would be Liverpool - but I can’t see it this year.”

No comments:

Post a Comment