Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Diego Costa: I need goals to kick-start my Spain career

Chelsea striker Diego Costa is hopeful of kick-starting his international career with Spain, having yet to make his mark for La Roja.

Vicente del Bosque's side face Slovakia and Macedonia in Euro 2016 qualifiers, with Costa expected to lead the line for the European champions.

With just one goal to his name from four outings with Chelsea this term, the Brazil-born forward hopes to add to his solitary international goal before returning to Stamford Bridge.

Costa told reporters: "I think what's missing is that I need to score goals. Every game, I'm getting better physically. I know I can give a lot more to the team and hopefully that will start right now. Strikers need to score goals; that's what I've been lacking here.

"When I score, my confidence will be higher and everything will come together. We have very skilful players and I don't have any excuses; I have to do things better.

"I'm getting to know my team-mates better and, although the style is different for me, there are great players here. I need confidence. Adapting to this style is easy.

"I feel that I owe the team, I haven't done anything yet. I have to repay the faith that has been placed in me. Maybe I have been a bit nervous but that's why it's important to play well now."

Costa enjoyed a prolific debut season with Chelsea in 2014-15 and opened his international account in October during a 4-0 win over Luxembourg.

Having opted to represent Spain last year, he is wary that he runs the risk of being dropped if he fails to find form.

"That can happen at any time," Costa accepted. "I know that, if I'm not playing well and someone else is, the gaffer won't call me up. I'm only thinking about being fit, coming here and playing. I hope that, in these games, everything will be better."

No comments:

Post a Comment