Sunday, September 6, 2015

Chelsea signing Djilobodji keen to emulate Desailly

New Chelsea signing Papy Djilobodji wants to follow in the footsteps of Marcel Desailly at Stamford Bridge.

The defender left Nantes for Chelsea on transfer deadline day for a reported fee of around £4 million.

And the Senegal international is now keen to emulate Desailly, who spent six years with Chelsea and also started his professional career at Nantes.

"He was a great role model," Djilobodji told the club's official website. "I actually had the opportunity to meet him at Nantes when he came to training with my coach and he gave me some advice, telling me that now I had made it this far I had to keep working hard.

"There is the added element that he was a defender like me, so I would love to follow in his footsteps. If I have the opportunity to see him again I will ask him questions and take whatever advice he gives and try and apply it on the field to help me move forward."

Djilobodji is now eager to continue his development as a player and learn from Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

He added: "I am a defender and I want to do my job well, which is to defend well and to not let things get past me.

"Technically-speaking I am making a lot of progress. From this point onwards I am going to be looking for advice from the manager and implement what he advises me to do and what my team-mates want me to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment