Friday, September 4, 2015

Blow for Robben as Bayern star suffers groin injury on Netherlands duty

Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben limped out of Netherlands' 1-0 Euro 2016 qualifying defeat to Iceland with a groin injury.

Robben, named captain in Danny Blind's first competitive match as Netherlands' manager, appeared to break down without contact from the opposition, before being withdrawn clutching his groin after 32 minutes 

The former Chelsea and Real Madrid winger has a chequered history with injuries and will now miss the Netherlands' crucial qualifying match against Turkey on Sunday, with Luciano Narsingh the most likely to deputise. 

Speaking to Dutch television station NOS, Robben revealed an initial back problem developed into a groin injury that forced him off the pitch. 

"I was super fit, but after a few knocks I felt it in my back. That went on to my groin and I couldn't go on with the match," the winger told NOS.

the 31-year-old confirmed that he will sit out the match against Turkey and return to Munich, but depending on the severity of the injury, his absence could also be felt by Pep Guardiola's Bayern Munich side, adding to the German champions' fitness worries, with France winger Frank Ribery already sidelined.

"Now I will go back to Munich and I will not be playing against Turkey," Robben added.

No comments:

Post a Comment